Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Easy Care for Cloth Diapers


As I wrote in previous post, The Pure Baby (PB) wears cloth diapers!

PB's diaper stash includes bumGenius! 3.0 One-Size Pocket Diapers, FuzziBunz One-Size Diapers, Thirsties Diaper Covers - Version 2.0, bumGenius! Diaper Doublers, and Unbleached Indian Prefold Diapers.

When I first started thinking of cloth diapers, the idea of cleaning them was just a bit scary. I thought I would be spending half my life washing diapers! I am happy to say that this was not the case! Life with cloth diapers is *easy*. Washing cloth diapers is only a couple extra loads of laundry each week!

After PB has used a diaper, I place it into his *dry* diaper pail. If it is a pocket diaper (such as bumGenius! 3.0 One-Size or FuzziBunz One-Size), I remove the insert(s) from the diaper prior to placing everything into the diaper pail. If it is an Unbleached Indian Prefold Diaper with a bumGenius! Diaper Doubler and Thirsties Diaper Cover, I just drop all of it into the diaper pail without having to separate. If PB has a BM in his diaper, I first drop most of the BM into a nearby trash can before putting the diaper into the diaper pail. That is all that I have to do on a daily basis!

Every three to four days, I wash PB's diapers. That is also an easy process. I put the washer onto the hot water and full load settings. Additionally, I push the buttons for pre-wash soaking and extra-rinse cycle. Next, I put in the laundry detergent. This is *key*. I use the tiniest amount of All Free and Clear. Using any more than this small amount will lead to detergent build-up, which in turn leads to diapers not being absorbent. I've had that experience and do not recommend it!

After the wash cycles are complete, I place the Unbleached Indian Prefold Diapers, the bumGenius! Diaper Doublers, and the *inserts* for both bumGenius! 3.0 One-Size Pocket Diapers and FuzziBunz One-Size Diapers into the dryer - and dry on high heat. The high heat is an extra step to kill bacteria. Rather than use the dryer, I hang-to-dry the bumGenius! 3.0 One-Size Pocket Diapers, the FuzziBunz One-Size Diapers, and the Thirsties Diaper Covers. This allows the diapers as well as their Velcro to have a longer life.

After all of the diapers and components are dry, I then fold and reassemble the diapers. I place the inserts back into both the bumGenius! 3.0 One-Size Pocket Diapers and the FuzziBunz One-Size Diapers. Into stacks, I fold the Unbleached Indian Prefold Diapers, the bumGenius! Diaper Doublers, and the Thirsties Diaper Covers. Then I place all of this back on the changing table shelf, and everything is ready to go for the next few days' diaper changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment